Friday 18 April 2008

The pleasure is ours, darling

Well, the night didn't start as I had imagined. Last year, when I was at Björk's concert at Las Ventas in Madrid, everything went so great that I still think of it as one of the greatest days of my life. Well, yes, that time I forgot my ticket at home, just about 330 miles from the venue, but people I call my friends took care of me and "treat(ed) me like I'm a princess" (I know, this isn't a Björk quote, but I couldn't resist).

So this time I had tickets. Tickets that someone bought for me. A beautiful act. One of the greatest. Tickets that were bought before Christmas last year. Ticket I had kept safe for so long and that I kept with me at all times the last few days so I wouldn't forget it.
So I left work early (thanks!) and I slowly went to the Hammersmith Apollo. I was already in Hammersmith so it was great. When I arrived there, there was very few people and just arriving I already met some girls. One from Brazil and the other from Italia. We engaged in conversations and we were getting along quite well. Björk's concert's queues must have this: meeting people, as I did last year as well. Then arrived the boyfriend of one of them. We were having fun, it was almost time to go in. But he wasn't feeling very well and he threw up right there. Well, this things happen! Let's focus on Björk.
A fat fag-hag and a teenage looking guy behind me destroying "Declare Independence". I want to make them shut up, but I don't know how. They talk so much about that song but they don't even understand it (they are English! If only they were Scots or Irish!) so I show them my t-shirt, which obviously I was wearing. Well, why explaining? I am used to people that detect all the song elements of the design.

Well, it is time to go in and my friend hasn't arrived, so I go in, hoping to get a nice place and wait for him.
We go in, all fine, until I try to get to the Stalls and they tell me that I am not booked for there, but for the REAR END of the GALLERY! Shit! Shit shit shit! I am so pissed off. So upset.
Yes, Gatchan tells me on an SMS that this way the acoustic will be better. Yes, I know, but it isn't the same, you know. I wanted to be down there with the crowd, to jump and dance.
Well, at the end of the day, she is tiny anyway!

As usual, great music while we get in position. I get so happy when I discover that I have few of those songs. Björk and I share taste in music.

The supporting artist was Leyla. For what I had read of her I was hoping she was going to be better. Especially I didn't like that she would have high moments with very good electronica followed by very calm themes. So an up and down that you can only stand if you are on drugs, which wasn't the case.

After a long interval and a much longer wait, Björk came out on stage. I knew she was going to start with Earth Intruders as it is a great hit to start the concert with. She also did it in Madrid and is doing since most of the cases. Though, the intro was Brennið Þið Vitar performed by the Icelandic Choir that has been accompanying her lately. It was a great and funny way to start.

Soon we were jumping with Earth Intruders and followed by Hunter. Oh, so great! I was so excited.

Then we had an "extremely" fabulous gift (or at list I did): Immature, which is one of my Top Ten. We all love when Björk makes mistakes with the lyrics or when she just happens to change a few words. We all do. And this time she truly gave ma a gift: "How could he be so immature". Björk, I thank you for this. Please, record and publish.

Well, a gift is something, but hey darling, you knew that was a good one, huh? She introduced the first guest of the night: Toumani Diabaté for Hope. And she said that herself: "Lucky bastards". His playing of the Kora was just overpowering. (I must say that I was shocked, now I know that he's going to be in the three gigs in London, but I was hoping to have Shlomo).

Then came The Pleasure Is All Mine and it was much better than in Madrid, I must say. It is a song for a good acoustic and that you are not to dance so much. So I did enjoy it.

And then the other gift of the night: Antony Hegarty in Dull Flame Of Desire. I was so excited with that, but I must say that I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping he'd have a better live, but he was very good.

Pagan Poetry was next and that was like crying. And I almost did with the next one, Vertebrae by Vertebrae.
And I certainly did with Desired Constellation where The Icelandic Choir was just awesome. "Repeatedly".

Well, Björk, we all know that although you like the slow thing, your stuff is dancing fast. So let's get started.
Army of Me was the next song and it made shiver. You're so right!
I know that Medúlla is not the album that everybody likes, but Who Is It is just so good... I love that song, and it brings me so many memories. Will this make it change? I hope so.

Good old Homogenic, with Bachelorette. Such a great one. But we all relay on Post, and Cover Me was the perfect one to follow. Isn't it?

I remember when I first bought Volta and I uploaded to my iPod and played it while walking in the streets. I remember when Wanderlust suddenly burst into my ears and I just wanted to jump. Well, that's what I did, and I still think that I might tatoo "I have lost my origin and I don't want to find it again" in my arm. Is such a great sentence, although "I feel at home whenever the unknown surrounds me" is so good that I might need the other arm. Oh, god, with "restlessness"!

Well, the ones who know me a bit, know how I love "Hyperballad" and I was specting it. I was waiting for it. And this time it tasted better than ever.

And what I couldn't imagine was "Pluto" which, since I saw it in Gargandi snilld, I just love it more and more. But Björk, why do you do this to me? Why do you finish my concerts with such a song, when I am totally up for a whole night of dancing?

Well, we still have the encore. It took you too long, we knew you were going to come out, you knew it as well, why did you make us wait so long?

I just couldn't imagine it. Jóga again. And her "Ooh". I just love it.
And, well, which was best way to end: Declare Independence to go with my t-shirt. I just couldn't help it guys, I was overexcited.

And that was the night. Overall it was a great gig. Unfortunately it had a setlist very similar to the one in Madrid, but I loved it. And having those guests! It was great. But I can't help it being jealous of the 14th as she sung Unravel, Innocence and the Anchor Song.

She sounded very good, and she seemed very happy to be there (it isn't the mash, is it?). Björk, London is good for you, but I understand why you are in the US.

I wish there had been a Björk party like last year afterwards, but I didn't hear of any.

As last year, I feel like going to another concert of hers tonight. Londoners still have the opportunity to go on Sunday 20th.

But, why don't we go on a Björk trip in July? Helsinki - Vilnius - Riga!

Both photos from the gig on the 14th.

4 comments:

Vulcano Lover said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

the collaborations are amazing!

immature is so special... and it's so true...

Isaac said...

:OOOOOOO

rositaduran said...

The concert she gave in Manchester was the best concert in my life :)
Saludos!