Sunday 6 January 2008

Whenever

Last night I had the opportunity to go to the final rehearsal - although it was treated like a proper show - of Varekai by the Cirque du Soleil at the Royal Albert Hall. Is the first time this show is in London.
I have to say that this is the first time that I have seen one of their shows, therefore, my opinion is much better than other "fans". For what I hear, Alegria was the best. I missed that show. I had tickets for it when it came for the first time to Spain but, somehow, we got lost on the way to Barcelona.
So here I am, North Circle Bar having a drink before the show. The voice tells us to hurry up to our sits. We go downstairs to our box. It is only 4 of us and it is great to know them. We sit and the sounds start.
I can't even begin to explain how I feel. My tears fight to stay inside but I can't keep them forever. My heart shrinks whenever the acrobats jump around or hung themselves from a string. I know, it is safe, they've rehearsed this many, many times, plus they've been doing this job for years. But I am still scared.
It is a sad story at times, you laugh at others. I liked it, I liked it so much that I want to watch it again, but I can't find my way.

Tips: If you are going to have dinner, you can have it at the Hall. There are few restaurants. All the people leaves a the same time (when the show starts) but this does not mean that you have to be slow. Check your watch and give your credit card to the waitresses with enough time. For a bit more money, get a box, you'll be more comfortable, you'll have space for your bags and you'll be able to keep your drinks. There is an interval, you can have drinks and ice-cream, but don't you think that you are going to be the only one. Toilets: do it at home, the queue is always long - don't leave during the show, because you won't be allowed back in. Try to be on time, especially with this show, because you wont be allowed to go in after ten minutes.

My rate: I can't compare. I had never been to any of their shows, nor to any show like this (this is no common circus). Every time I hear some of the tunes of the soundtrack, my heart explodes. I am giving a 9/10, but will update my thoughts on it.
If you want to see Varekai, go to either the cirque's page or the Hall page. They will be here in London until the [update] the 17th of February. If you miss them, follow them to Amsterdam, Berlin, Oberhausen or Vienna.

2 comments:

Vulcano Lover said...

I have never been so much keen on this sort of show... I have never been to any of their pieces... But everyone seems to adore them. Am i so weird?

Habibi said...

well... yes

next time you come with